The school has a Special Educational Needs policy in line with the Code of Practice for children who may need extra help because of their learning or behavioural difficulties. Children’s needs are identified early in their school life to enable optimum support to be given. We work closely with outside agencies to seek advice to ensure the correct support is available.
Some children may show exceptional ability in one or more subjects. We aim to challenge them in the following ways:
- Teachers planning reflect differentiated tasks;
- They may be given harder work to do;
- Similar work that is then extended to make it more challenging may be given;
- They may carry out individual research to broaden their knowledge;
- They will be taught in a group or individually to extend their knowledge;
All of the above is monitored by a designated governor, and the flexibility of our mixed age classes can help us to achieve this.